Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Socializing without Smothering

As parents we do our best to teach our kids how to be polite at the table. It's a never ending list of dos and don'ts and slowly over time children become socially aware and able to function without being offensive. We teach them basics like not to belch and not to say rude things like "That smells disgusting!" or "Ew! That looks just like (fill in the blank)!"

Unfortunately in all this socialization, expressive children often turn into average adults that say polite-but-dull things like, "Thank you for dinner, it was delicious."

Imagine if adults listened and learned from some of the positive things kids say. For example, "This is great! Could you make this for my birthday?" Or, "Mmm! I think this is the best ever!" Surely that kind of unrestrained praise would go over well with any host. My new personal favorite came from Camen last Monday when he kneeled in the seat at dinner and belted out with heartfelt enthusiasm, "This is the JOY OF THE UNIVERSE!!!"

Give it try! ;)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Or Matthew who knows that if he complains about dinner he gets a second helping. "Ewwwww what is THAT in this good dinner?"..........."This is my favorite dinner mom! There's only a few things I don't like in it"!

B Flat Major said...

Braden and Camen must share genes. He's learned that if he complains he gets excused from the table, but when he gives a sincere compliment, it sure is worth the wait!! I love 'the joy of the universe.'

~ kietra ~ said...

thanks for the story! we had a good laugh over it. I must ask though... what was dinner that night??

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

I told Tyler this story, and we've had a good laugh about it.. I put his lunch on the door handle this morning and he asked "What is this?" I told him it was his lunch, he looked up and me and said "You are the joy of the universe!!" Thanks Camen, and Melisaa :)