Sunday, July 6, 2008

Land of the Free and Home of the Brave



We had a great Fourth of July weekend this year. Provo puts on a stellar Freedom Festival and it's one of the many reasons we like living in Utah County.

On Thursday night we attended the Colonial Days. It's my kind of family event - free, educational, outdoors, and something of interest for everyone. The volunteers dressed in colonial costumes and there were a number of displays and activities as well as plays, music and dancing for entertainment. Some highlights include the Mayflower replica, the kids's colonial games and the smell-free port-a-potties. :) The Mayflower display included a list of passengers and we found Russ' ancestor, William Bradford. (One of the great things about knowing your family history is making personal connections to America's history. Russ is also a descendant of Jacob Bloom, a signer of the Constitution.)

On Friday morning we went to the parade. We found a good spot and ran into some old friends (The Giles Family.) I had the misfortune of sitting close to an anti-American. I know there are plenty of Americans that don't like America, but why would one go to the 4th of July parade? This individual's refusal to stand when the color guard brought the flag down the street, and telling her brother "you know me better than that" when he suggested she put her hand over her heart was quite irritating to me. I tried to be patient and blamed her sour attitude on her ignorance. Her general disposition kind of rained on my parade. Next year I would like to gather a large group of patriotic and very lively friends to view the parade together. I will supply plenty of otter pops, flags, blankets and chairs for anyone who will stand when the flag goes by, waves at the WWII veterans, cheers for the BYU float and claps enthusiastically for the Freedom Festival Award Recepients. Please let me if you are interested, it's going to be fun!

Russ made us "Patriotic Pancakes" for lunch, (there wasn't time in the morning.) The kids took a nice afternoon nap and then for dinner we had a delicious barbeque with the Shearers. My parents made some awesome turkey burgers and then we went to Great-Grandma and Grandpa's house to watch the fireworks. Here's a little video of Mason an hour before the fireworks. (Forgive the gushing and Motherese, for a doting grandmother and I are in love with this boy.)

4 comments:

hOLLIANN said...

sorry about that lady. I can't even imagine. I am speaking in church on our heritage, and knowing what little I know...she's crazy!

Nicki said...

That video of Mason reminds me SOO much of Camen. How could you not be in love with such a cutie!!
I do miss the 4th of July in Provo. They put on a great show!

Yvonne said...

I loved your video of your darling little Mason. I think he is a little younger than Tallin right?

Stephanie Humphreys said...

What a cute video. Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks.
I've been wanting to make that turkey burger recipe. Glad to here someone tried them and liked them.