Sunday, September 21, 2008

Goodbye Summer! I Love You!

Sunday, September 21st is the last day of summer. The summer of 2008 will be remembered fondly with all the lovely little things that make summer superior to winter.

1. Fresh Veggie Trays

My favorites are red peppers and black olives. (Can you guess what is missing from this beautiful assortment?)



No sugarsnap peas! (The greatest tragedy is that I had some at the bottom of my vegetable drawer and forgot all about them.)


2. The Mountains!

I especially like to be in the mountains during the summer time, they are beautiful during every season, but I don't like to be cold or worry about hungry mountain lions, irritable bears or avalanches.



3. No Socks! (means less laundry).

With twelve feet in our family multiplied by seven days a week = A minimum of 84 socks a week to be washed and mated during the cooler months!

4. 4th of July

Patriotism, food, fireworks, neighbors, family and friends!



5. BBQ

Grilled Chicken, a nice cut of steak, savory salmon, shish-kabobs and a cooler kitchen when all the cooking is done outside!



6. Lavender

What a soft, fragrant, soothing addition to any garden. J'adore lavender!



7. Family Reunions Leaving behind the routine to gather with family and just catch-up and have a good time.



8. Playing in the water and sunshine!




9. Homemade Ice Cream

A family favorite, "Truly Key Lime Ice Cream" (For best results let chill 24 hours mixing in ice cream maker).



10. Sponge Dodgeball!

The same traditional game with large sponges substituted for the balls. It's all the fun of water game without messy things like water balloon pieces.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness! Until you put it that way I've never thought about all of the socks I wash in a week! I just knew the pile was disgustingly high. 126! And that doesn't count multiple sock days like Sunday.....I'm quittin' right now!

Anonymous said...

Is that French you used to express how much you loved lavender? HA! The days of High School.

B Flat Major said...

I echo Rachel. In my logical mind I know there are more socks in winter than summer. But I've never thought of parsing it out to make our family the collective soilers of 70+ pairs of socks. Whew!

I will miss the grill too. Someday if we build a dream house it will have a covered patio/deck so we can grill year round.

Amber Miyake said...

Melissa - I love your blog! Reading it is like reading a good book, I just want to keep reading! You have a great way with words!! :) These pictures are so cute. I love that one of Mason on the 4th of July! He's getting so big!
-Amber :)

hOLLIANN said...

You guys are so fun! I wish we were neighbors!