Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"Look for the Sunlight in Life"


This weekend the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will gather for the 178th Annual General Conference. This one will be different than the others. Last January President Gordan B. Hinckley passed away, he will be missed greatly by the membership of the Church. His presence, testimony and love seem such an integral part of Conference. He has presided at every session of conference for the last 13 years and for as long as I've been alive he has participated as a member or the First Presidency or an apostle. After years of listening to his wisdom, personal experiences and heartfelt expressions of testimony and love, I felt like I knew him personally.

President Hinckley possessed so many of the attributes that I lack and by listening I felt that I was in the process of acquiring what I needed. He once counseled, "Look for the sunlight in life." I want to be an optimist, but I'm afraid that I'm naturally inclined to be a pessimist. It's very challenging for me to think positively about the future of our society and world. Moral degradation, idolatry, materialism and selfishness seem be taking over all that was once good. Naturally discouragement follows such dismal thinking.

President Hinckley was an optimist. I looked forward to hearing him speak because it was like being lifted up to better view of reality. He helped me to see the bigger picture and recognize that while there is so much wickedness, in the end good will triumph and in despite of our troubled world we can be happy and enjoy life's journey. He didn't just preach that message - he lived it! He joked often and helped me to stop being so serious and laugh with him.

When I heard about his passing my first reaction was just happiness that he would be with his deceased wife Majorie. My second thought was, "Don't leave us, we need you!" Now I feel a sense of gratitude. My life is better because of his, I feel more hope and less worry.

Here are some of his last words given to the membership of the church
"We know not all that lies ahead of us. We live in a world of uncertainty. For some, there will be great accomplishment. For others, disappointment. For some, much of rejoicing and gladness, good health, and gracious living. For others, perhaps sickness and a measure of sorrow. We do not know. But one thing we do know. Like the Polar Star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith.

In sunshine and in shadow we look to Him, and He is there to assure and smile upon us.

He is the central focus of our worship. He is the Son of the living God, the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten in the flesh. He is “risen from the dead, … the firstfruits of them that slept”. He is the Lord who shall come again “to reign on the earth over his people”.

None so great has ever walked the earth. None other has made a comparable sacrifice or granted a comparable blessing. He is the Savior and the Redeemer of the world. I believe in Him. I declare His divinity without equivocation or compromise. I love Him. I speak the name of Jesus Christ in reverence and wonder. He is our King, our Lord, our Master, the living Christ, who stands on the right hand of His Father. He lives! He lives, resplendent and wonderful, the living Son of the living God."

1 comment:

A GAL NEEDS... said...

Hi Melissa,
Remember me, Helen Lemon? I just happened upon your blog via Rachel Rubow's blog and I just want you to know how much I appreciated reading the words of President Hinckley. It brought back and rekindled his wonderful optimism and kindness and I just was so happy to read those.
Anyway I always loved your family in our ward and I hope you don't mind if I follow your blog once in awhile. You can follow mine if you want, I just started this month. Anyway, take care!